Dan Price @DanPriceSeattle
I cut my CEO pay by a million dollars so all workers could make at least $70,000 per year.
The gov’t subsidizing the mega corporations. Its an understood thing. Underpay workers. Subsidize the company to pay these workers. Make it up in government transfer payments to these people.
Amazon, led by the richest person in U.S. history: *Paid 0 federal income tax in 2017/2018 and 1% in 2019 *Received $3 billion in taxpayer subsidies for local offices & warehouses *Top recipient of food stamps & Medicaid for employees, meaning taxpayers subsidize low pay/benefits
When a regular person goes broke, “they shouldn’t have bought an iPhone or avocado toast” When a billionaire with 3 yachts, 5 mansions and a near-zero effective tax rate lays people off, “that’s just the economy”
Sources on that
- Food stamps/Medicaid washingtonpost.com/business/2020/
- Taxpayer-subsidized buildings goodjobsfirst.org/amazon-tracker
- Amazon: profit tripled, axed $2/hour bonus in May
- Kroger: sales up 30%, workers got $100 store credit
- Walmart: Walton wealth up $38B, workers got $300 bonuses
- Dollar General: $2.6B stock buybacks, workers got $173M
- They’re not essential They’re disposable