Financial Literacy Certification Test
The Financial Literacy Certification Program has touched the lives of more than 250,000. On average, 75 percent of students pass the Certification Test every year, graduating financially literate. The ranking will be published annually, giving all schools that participate in the Financial Literacy Certification Program an opportunity to earn a place on it each year.
For more information about w!se, contact info(at)wise-ny(dot)org, or visit the program website http://www.wise-ny.org/
This is a huge joke.
This is not a national ranking (since the certification program is not even offered in 22 states) and to claim that it is is just plain false.
1997, The NFI Report said the average financial literacy score was 57.3% — a failing grade, but that’s the best it has ever been, and it has fallen consistently ever since.
2013 83% of Students Want Financial Education in Schools, however the curriculum requirements are largely set at the state and local level. Only Four States Virginia, Missouri, Utah and Tennessee Mandate one stand alone class in personal finance in high school. By 2014, personal finance education will be mandatory in schools in the UK!
2013 National opinion poll of high school students probed their attitudes and found teenagers almost expect to be victimized by financial firms. 60% of students firmly believe that credit card companies often entice people into taking on more debt that they can handle, while 70% believe that businesses try to “trick” young people into spending more than they should. The stock market is rigged mostly to benefit greedy Wall Street bankers.
– Top 25 of the 100 Best w!se High Schools Teaching Personal Finance 2013
1. High School for Math, Science & Engineering at City College, New York, NY
2. Itineris Early College High School, West Jordan, UT
3. Coeur d’Alene High School, Coeur d’Alene, ID
4. Utah County Academy of Sciences, Orem, UT
5. Aviation High School, Queens, NY
6. Central Magnet School, Murfreesboro, TN
7. Wausa Public School, Wausa, NE
8. Heritage High School, Newport News, VA
9. Passaic County Technical Institute, Wayne, NJ
10. Townsend Harris High School, Queens, NY
11. Halifax County High School, South Boston, VA
12. Eleanor Roosevelt High School, New York, NY
13. Holston High School, Damascus, VA
14. Shenendehowa High School, Clifton Park, NY
15. Queens High School for the Sciences, Queens, NY
16. High School for Arts & Business, Corona, NY
17. Queens Gateway to Health Sciences, Queens, NY
18. Willsboro Central School, Willsboro, NY
19. Leon M. Goldstein High School, Brooklyn, NY
20. High School for Law & Public Service, New York, NY
21. Cascades High School, New York, NY
22. Whitney Young High School for International Studies, Chicago, IL
23. Menchville High School, Newport News, VA
24. Southold High School, Southold, NY
25. Lexington Technology Center, Lexington, SC